Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Reading Diary B: British North America

British North America:

Turtle and Thunder:
That was certainly and abrupt and unexpected ending.  It's sad that the people who he thought could help him were killed and that he took no one else's help.  I wonder if there was meant to be a moral for this story or not.  It was certainly strange and I'm not sure why it's still around.  It was interesting, but I honestly just don't get the point.

The Making of Lakes and Mountains:
Again, it's an interesting story, but I just don't get the point.  This one at least explained why there are mountains and lakes - but that was such a side element to the story, that I feel like they would have emphasized it better.  I wonder if the bears wanted to eat the woman or capture her or what.

Coyote and the Salmon:
This is a strange story.  Maybe it's more common for the British North Americans, but I usually thought of coyotes as cunning and now in these stories, I see them as being in charge and powerful creatures, respected by others.  With that being said, they were totally tricked by the salmon which is strange.  I don't normally think of fish as cunning or creative.


Salmon
Source:  Wikipedia

Nanebojo and the Geese:
This story was unexpected.  I didn't think that the geese would get away at the end.  After all, Nanebojo was cunning enough to trick the geese and it's nice that he supported his grandmother.  He'll be in for a rude surprise when he gets back and there are no geese.  Those geese that escaped will know better than to cross him again.  At least he's already off to get more so they should be taken care of.

The Adventures of Nanebojo:
This kid has the worst luck.  Between this story and the last one, he has serious animal-catching issues.  I feel like he should trust his grandmother to know more and to be able to help.  Maybe he should have done the hard work of building a cabin and let her try to catch food since she is probably very wise.

Wolverene and Rock:
The wolverene was somewhat asking for it.  He should not have rudely disturbed rock the way he did.  He got what was coming to him.  I still feel bad for him.  Cool visual of the storm though - I love rain and thunderstorms, so it was nice to read about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment