Sunday, March 1, 2015

Writing Review Week

I have really enjoyed this class so far and one of my favorite parts in addition to being able to read such a variety of fun stories is being able to write creatively - it's so different from any writing I do for my major and I enjoy being able to put fun spins on my stories.  I don't feel like the storytelling posts are my strength - I feel like my stories are mediocre and I am constantly overwhelmed by the creativity of the stories of others' in the class.  However, I put a lot of effort into the storybook, and I feel like that is where my writing skills are more honed and there is a lot of creativity and because the storybook is so different from anyone else's, I don't mentally compare it to the storybooks of others and can easily appreciate their work as well as my own.  I have been blown away by the talent in this class - from Letters majors to Psychology major and Engineering majors, everyone has such a talent in writing creative stories which is really neat.  The feedback I've been getting has been wonderful.  Professor Gibbs - I feel like your feedback is the most helpful, hands down, but I have a feeling if I checked the comments written by my fellow classmates more often, than I would find their comments even more helpful.  The short and sweet writing strategies are also very useful and the examples are great because like many others, I learn better by example than by just reading what I'm supposed to do.

This picture is from one of my more recent storytelling posts which was a re-telling of a Cinderella-type story.  I made the story about a girl who was a friend of cats rather than a friend of turkeys and made it more modern.  
Source:  Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. I can understand that storytelling might not be your strength, but that doesn't mean it can't be made into one! I think you are right by not actively comparing your work with those of others: it's just so much more stress, and besides, everyone is only as creative as they can be. No more no less. But if I could offer a tid-bit of advice for getting in the creative mindset for the storytelling posts: what I like to do is review the stories in the units that I have chosen, see if there's one that might be good but that could maybe have a plot twist here and there, and see where that takes me. Just my thoughts! And best of luck with the rest of the class!

    ReplyDelete