Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Reading Diary B: English Fairy Tales

English Fairy Tales:

Henny-Penny:
So when I was first reading through this story, it reminded me of the game "telephone."  You know, where one person says something, and it gets passed along. It also reminded me of how gossip spreads - one person may say something but then as word spreads, people tend to not examine the actual situation but accept it as truth.  I'm not sure if that's what the author intended for this story, but I think the author did a good job of illustrating how destructive it can be.

Molly Whuppie:
This is an interesting story.  So far, I think I like the second half of the English Fairy Tales unit more than the first.  This story was neat since it highlighted how clever and brave Molly was.  I also had heard the "Fe fi fo fum..." rhyme when I was younger, but I never knew where it was from and now I do!

Johny-Cake:
I had already read this story before since I used it as a part of my storybook but before that, I hadn't heard of it.  It's interesting and thought it was a strange idea of a cake running away.  I wonder how the author came up with that.  Anyways, I'm not sure if the author intended for this, but my take-away was that you shouldn't brag or be overly confident - Johny-cake certainly was, and it led to his demise.

Mr. Miacca:
Wow, this story is pretty sickening.  The thought of cannibals, and a boy trying to run away... I wonder why the mom knew about this but didn't do anything - maybe she just thought it was a tall tale? Kudos to the boy for being clever enough to escape twice.  Hopefully he stays safe from now on.

Fairy Ointment:
I have also read this story before since I used it for my storybook.  When I read my storybook, I focused more on the magical abilities of the ointment and how cool it'd be to see new things that were possibly always there! When I read it this time, I focused more on the character she was now able to see and that outcome.  I think it's sad that she was blinded over the whole incident - I don't think she was ever told not to use the cream so it's a shame she was punished for it.



"Prince Arthur and the Fairy Queen" by Johann Heinrich Fussli
Source:  Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment