Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Reading Diary A: British North America

British North America:

Beliefs:
This story wasn't even really a story.  It was strange.  Not bad by any means, but it was just basically stating the belief that there were five worlds.  I have never heard this theory and wonder if some people still believe in it today.  It is sad that when "afraid of nothing" came to earth, that a lot of people would get sick and die.

Creation of the World:
This is a pretty interesting explanation for the world.  At the end, I was confused that what we call earth was created since I thought that was where the chief's daughter came from in the first place.  I guess not, but it's a neat story.  I've said this for other tales, but I like it when the ending is an explanation of why things are the way they are today.  This certainly is a fun explanation for an earthquake.

Creation of Earth:
I think this story is cool.  I thought it was strange that even though earth was the one who was critical, bossy, and constantly complaining, she still was able to be the one who ended up with the good stuff - never alone and surrounded by flowers and good things in general.  I think it stinks that the sun was "punished" even though he just had a super grumpy wife.  It's cool though that the sun, moon, and stars are meant to be seen by all.  I have lived a few places where you couldn't see the stars at night and certainly missed it.  I'm glad that I now can where I live now.

Origin of Rivers in Queen Charlotte Islands:
Hmmmm this story is really creative.  I definitely would not have thought of it myself.  I wonder where people get these sorts of ideas to come up with them.  It's a fun explanation for the rivers, for sure, but I can't imagine thinking of explanations like this.  Although, I wouldn't have imagined being able to make up a storybook and have done that last semester and this semester.

Grizzly Bear and Coyote:
I really like the coyote - it wasn't his responsibility to protect the world, but he stood up to the grizzly bear and did so.  I think this is a cool explanation for the seasons.  I've heard of explanations for the earth and the rivers, but I don't think I've ever heard one for the seasons, especially not one like this.  I also think it's interesting that a coyote, who typically represents slyness, represented such a good character in this story.


An Alaskan coyote.
Source:  Wikipedia

This is a cool story.  I wonder why the boy would give away a robe that he realized could catch fish so easily, though.  Too bad his whole village left him, but hopefully he and his grandmother made it.  I think it's fun that the sun got it bright colors from something a grandmother made, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment